…the sweet embrace of silk Nuvola is the new, exclusive, innovative and high-performance range of silk bed sheets by T.Silk, a SilkGenera project. Discover T.Silk products...
...created with your hands, from nature, for comfort
If you are at this page you are probably passionate about padding, fabrics and patchwork and quilt as a hobby or in any case about creative sewing.
Are you choosing your colored fabrics or fabrics to use for your patchwork but would you like a different padding or filling with unique characteristics?
What is meant by patchwork and quilting
Patchwork definition: “Work | Patch: patches, indicates an artifact created by human work through the union and stitching of different parts of fabrics (originally square in shape, then in different sizes and shapes.”
Quilt definition: probably originates from the English word Cowlte which represents an adaptation of the patchwork technique for the creation of very thick and padded bed quilts, in the Anglo-Saxon tradition. In the past it was also used as a typical product for the wedding trousseau
The Quilt was composed of an upper layer made from a patchwork product, then a padding and a lower fabric (backing). All finished with a closure made with binding in order to decorate the edges of the quilt. The type of decoration of the quilt is in fact called quilting.
Patchwork and quilting - historical notes
- Products packaged with a technique similar to patchwork are traced back to Egyptian and Chinese civilis
- The moment of greatest development occurred in North America during the occupation by the colonists of the “wild west”. The women, out of necessity, kept in a sack called Scrap Bag, (Sack of Scraps), cloth cutouts of all kinds to make clothes and blankets.
- The technique spread from North America to England (whose tradition especially in the blankets dates back to the Middle Ages) and from here quilt and patchwork conquered the whole of Europe. The techniques were soon copied by rich women who turned them into high-ranking hobbies. The elements of the patchwork including the padding were increasingly embellished
- During the second half of the 1900s there was a sharp decrease in Patchwork – Quilting. The causes: economic development, industrial boom, female labor, similar products at low prices, emancipation, socio-cultural evolutions, different purchasing choices.
- The rediscovery by the American Feminist Movement of what was called the “female specific” in the XXI century brought patchwork and Quilt back into fashion. Socialisation processes in small groups recreated the meeting moments of the Quilting-bee.
Patchwork and Quilt: creativity and tradition.
Nowadays, Patchwork and Quilt represent a pleasant hobby sometimes involving socialisation, exchanging of ideas and projects. An activity that favours the expression of one’s creativity, one’s personality as well as one’s technical ability.
A modern rediscovery of an artistic and social heritage that belongs to our grandmothers and great-grandmothers, to past generations.
Why choose T.Silk padding for homemade patchwork and quilts
Thanks to the exclusive properties of silk and the patented formulation of T.Silk it becomes possible, even and above all for small hobby projects and small quantities, to use the exclusive T.Silk silk padding to create and design patchwork and quilt of absolute quality and performance technique.
Tradition and innovation
Using T.Silk natural 100% silk padding within patchwork and quilt fabrics means returning to the depths of our manufacturing culture, recognizing the value of a fiber with excellent technical characteristics in terms of heat retention and breathability.
Padding represents the beating heart of any item that uses it. for patchwork and quilt products. The possibility of inserting a soft, precious and exclusive element allows you to create unique filling items with unrepeatable flavors capable of enhancing the level and image of the product and the creativity associated with it.
Creating a product with your own hands cannot ignore the desire to share its deepest values and characteristics. Using T.Silk padding means truly demonstrating attention to issues of sustainability and ecosystem protection.
To enhance your patchwork and quilt hobby and the creations that come from it, you cannot ignore the quality of its elements